Materials are an integral part of mechanical design and engineering.
Understanding of properties , how they matter for product performance are a key knowledge set for any engineer designing products big or small .
This course attempts to provide insights into the following topics:
- Role of material selection in Design process
- The importance of materials
- Types of Engineering materials
- The Mechanical properties - Modulus , Ductility and brittleness , Strength , Wear, Creep , Fatigue strength , Toughness
- Introduction to peculiar nature of various base materials and composites
- What are Ashby Material charts and how are they used?
- Material selection process
- Material indices - How are they derived for different loading applications in Mechanical design ?
The course is intended to be a starting point for deep study into material selection .
Materials is of course a very vast subject . This course can be a good reference to get a taste for the field of material selection.
If you are a design engineer and looking to refresh and maybe pickup on new concepts regarding materials this course will be for you .
If you are a student who is looking to start their learning journey in area of materials of mechanical design for product development then this should be a good starting point.
Course is designed to be precise and to the point and focuses on concepts and not only the facts .