Understanding Tolerances and tolerancing schemes is a very important part of Mechanical design .
In most cases Tolerances are directly detrimental to the functional performance of a mechanical product. This course attempts to cover the key concepts in tolerance stackup , limits, fits and statistical tolerancing with examples .
What we will cover in the course?
- What is tolerance?
- What are sources of variation ?
- What are Fits , the nomenclature, types and Tolerance zones
- How to decode and interpret a Fit specification and convert it into limits
- How to Define a specification of a Fit for a specific application
- How to do a simple tolerance stackup ? Generic procedure and factors to be considered?
- How to develop Loop Diagrams in Stackup ?
- Assembly shift in Tolerance analysis
- Stackup with GD&T
- How to find Boundary conditions accounting for size and positional variations
- How to derive the individual specifications in tolerance table
- Why Statistical techniques are used?
- What is difference between worst case and statistical analysis
- What is normal distribution and what is process capability index?
Core Learning outcome is to provide a strong foundation concept in Tolerance analyses for mechanical Engineers in design and manufacturing.